mardi 9 septembre 2008

Puis je fume

The first day of school. How I used to anticipate it so! The end of summer meant running with my sister to Hunter's Glen elementary school to find out which class I had been placed. I would dash into the cafeteria, scroll the lists of names for my grade and leave, either giddy or dejected. I remember when my entire clique was in the other 4th grade class. Oh the agony!
Of course, the night before the first day was even better. I would meticulously plan my outfit (this was prior to my interest in fashion, meaning that the outfit was inevitably plain, bordering on hideous), laying it out by my bed. Next, I would prepare my backpack, cramming it full of bright new folders, Crayola markers, and the prerequisite box of Kleenex. While getting ready for middle school and high school were different, I was still filled with excitement and expectation.
Yesterday was, in its own way, my first day of school. Since beginning graduate school, I have not felt the same kind of nervousness or eagerness that used to engulf me when I was younger; nevertheless, this year feels different to me. Maybe it's because the summer seemed to drag on forever. Or perhaps it's because there is so much I want to do this year and I needed a fresh start. In the end, I think we all look forward to a new start. Like the New Years, the first day of school presents a clearly delineated time when we can change our fortunes, change our behaviors. That is what I want to do this year.
Now that I got that out of my system, I do want to share what I've been doing the past weekend. Dan and I jetted off to Mexico City to find a venue for the wedding. My mother met us down in the city and we stayed with my godmother Mari. The trip was brilliant! Everyone loved Dan and Dan loved them and the country (the first question he asked my dad upon our return was how could he leave)!
With regards to finding a wedding locale, the true problem was deciding between multiple places that were all very nice. Finally, we chose La Hacienda de Cortez in Cuernavaca (http://www.hotelhaciendadecortes.com/). we've also moved up the day of our wedding to May 23rd. More details will follow.
Dan is the first person outside of my family to go with me to Mexico. It was one of those strange occurrences when two of my completely distinct worlds collide. I was born in Mexico and I lived in the city until I was four. Throughout my childhood and adolescence, I would travel frequently to Mexico with my family; we would stay there for weeks at a time. Since going to college, however, these trips have trickled to nothing. In fact, this past visit was my first time back sine 2001. Being back felt so strange. It doesn't feel as foreign as it used to, in terms of the presence of American firms, but it doesn't feel as familiar as it once did. That is, I felt completely out of touch with the culture. At lest I am trying to get rid of my Spanish accent. I think having the wedding in Mexico, with my Mexican side of the family attending, is perfect. I will reconnect with a side of me that I haven't paid much mind to, and American family and friends will get to see the real Mexico (there will be no reception at Senor Frogs).

2 commentaires:

dahlia a dit…

The place looks absolutely fabulous!

Both of us are so excited for you guys (and can't wait to travel to Mexico!)

Andrea a dit…

I think 35% of the reason I'm in academia is that I desperately love the first day of school. (An additional 15% goes for the fantastic sound of writing on chalkboards.)

If only the remaining 50% were my love for writing a prospectus?