samedi 5 mai 2007

I'm Awkward

What a weird, yet lovely day! I woke up feeling oddly chilly. It appears that our run of 75 degree weather has ended. Today it was definitely cooler and I, in my noble attempt to pack light, had packed little, nay, nothing suitable for cooler weather. Given that I had worked at the Centre Pompidou until 9:30 the night before, I felt justified in taking the day off and doing some shopping. I started early, around 10:30, and hit Rue de Rivioli, with a plan of buying a sweater and a jacket. Well, unfortunately, the summer clothes were out in full force and there was hardly anything with long-sleeves to be found. After a lot of running around, I bought a blazer at Zara. With the exchange rate being what it is (damn you Bush), I was very loathe to hand over my credit card. Yes, I had sticker shock (gasp!). So I wasn't excited about my purchase. I usually trust my gut right before I buy something. If I'm not jumping up and down in the dressing room (I'm serious) then I don't buy it. So here is the strange thing: shortly after making my uneasy purchase, I found a second-hand store (Paulina and Jessica, you both would have been in heaven! So many of the dresses I saw were perfect for you guys). The place was packed and everything cost about 5 or 10 Euro. Phoenix, the Strokes, and German dopplegangers of the previous played in the background while hipsters dug through the racks of clothes. I felt so out of place. I had to keep on telling myself in my head that hey, I'm cool, or if not cool, a worth-while person. See, this is what being around a bunch of malnourished people in skinny jeans does to you: it makes you feel like a loser*. Well, I bought a jacket (5 Euro), a dress (10 Euro), and two great purses. All of this cost less than the blazer at Zara, which I promptly returned. Woot-woot! Afterward, I went to a cafe by my place and read. It turns out there is free wi-fi there and I will definitely be returning. I called Mel to wish her a happy graduation. Can you believe it? Our little Melba is graduating from college (wild applause, shrieks and whistles)! Congrats! By the way, if you are reading this Mel, did Mom and Dad ever find Grandma? No one knew where she was, and according to Mel, Mom and Dad weren't that concerned. The woman is BLIND! Well, now I have to do my Madrid trial work. A bientot! *Actually, I'm horribly awkward and feel like a loser about most everyone. Sigh.

2 commentaires:

Andrea a dit…

Jen, I happen to be of the opinion that you are brilliant and stylish.

Bisous a dit…

Andrea, you're only saying that because we are twins, albeit fraternal twins.