vendredi 29 février 2008

Baseball Bores Me

I'm in the house while Dan, Jon, and David go and enjoy a spring training baseball game. YAWN. I've been working half-assedly (is that even a word?) on my revamped prospectus. This bad-boy needs to be done by Sunday, lest I incur the wrath of the department chair. Anyway, I feel oddly inspired to work today. I was going through an email folder I made when I was really into organizing my emails and I realized that I did have some good moments in this program. By good moments, I mean times when it seemed like I was going places professionally. Those good moments have since dried up, but at least I know I once had it in me and I may have it again. We went to the Grand Canyon. It was beautiful, but it just confirmed what I've always known: I hate being in the great outdoors. I spent our last day in the lodge working, which, for me, is preferable to hiking the rim. Thanks but no thanks. I've been reading Andrea's blog and I'm thinking of trying the raw foods diet, er, lifestyle. Lately we've been subsisting on trail mix, In-N-Out burger, and Mexican food. I do not feel well. The idea of fresh foods is so appealing right now. The problem is that Dan and I live to eat and I cannot see him being happy about this change. Moreover, what would I say to Dan's parents when I go to eat at their house tonight? Or when we go to a prof's house for dinner and I munch on a plate of lettuce? It seems rude. Any advice? I am going on a run now. It is exhilarating to be running outside. Needless to say, I do not want to go back to Michigan.

3 commentaires:

Andrea a dit…

Jennifer Lynn Miller, be still my heart! I am so excited and proud that you want to try going raw! I'm sorry my response is so late. How has it been going? I understand, it is really hard when you are around others who are eating cooked food -- especially when you have a tradition of cooking together. It was super easy for me to be raw in AA, but I spent a week with Dejan in Boston not too long ago, and I was realized surprised just how difficult it was. One thing I really like about the whole raw "community", if you will, is that the idea is just to eat as much natural, whole food as you can -- rather than think about it as what you can't eat, just try to increase raw with every meal. For special occasions, or if I were to go to a friend's house for dinner or something, I would break raw (but often I don't even need to, as my family has been really supportive and now always make me all kinds of great salads). Anyway, it's kind of like any level you can do is a good level, and having cooked food when someone makes it especially for you is the last thing we should worry about.

I'm so super interested to hear how it went/has been going!

Andrea a dit…

P.S. Baseball bores me, too.

Bisous a dit…

I JUST read this comment and I found it extraordinarily helpful. I am going to try to incorporate more raw food into my diet as I fell off the bandwagon AGES ago but I am feeling gross. I always felt much better when I was eating raw.