mardi 8 juillet 2008

Nobody's Perfect

I am in the reading room in the Union. Across from me sits an uptight girl who has a conniption every time anyone makes a noise. What really strikes me as bizarre is that she appears to be listening to her iPod. How can she hear these low-volume sounds?  I swear, the expressions she makes and the speed at which she snaps her head to see what could be the matter are far more distracting than the sounds of a chair screeching or my munching on some nutritious celery. 
But beyond that, life is grand. This past weekend Dan and I travelled to Bowling Green to spend time with my parents. Mel was there and she brought her two friends! We spent every waking moment eating salsa and chips and drinking. It was grand. The only low point of this weekend is listening to my parents and their über-conservative friends discuss politics. I did not say much until I was pushed to the breaking point with regards to state formation. I immediately regretted saying anything, but Dan said that he loved it when "I put him [my parents' friend] in his place." I used to voice my political views loudly and constantly but I've since tried to keep them silent. Not only have I been largely been successful, but I would argue that I've been much more pleasant as well. I suppose it was the copious amount of wine I drank or the length of the conversation that broke me. I wonder if I had been a man would I worry so much about speaking my mind? Or should everyone avoid discussing politics, full stop?
In my spare time, I finally read a non-school related book, A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah. Perhaps you saw it on sale at your local Starbucks? Yes, well, if you enjoy reading about death over coffee than by all means, pick it up and read it while you sip your latte! I had nightmares. 
Speaking of nightmares, my stress has reached record levels. I must return to the tasks at hand.

Aucun commentaire: