dimanche 19 août 2007

Backhanded Compliment OR In Desperate Need of Social Skills

It's a rainy Sunday and I'm in the fishbowl surfing the internet. I spent the entire day cleaning the house and I was determined to hit the gym around 4:30. I had already admitted to myself that I wasn't going to get any work done today. I'm just not in the mood, which is a terrible excuse, I know. I did have a lot to do this week, including submit a draft and prepare my presentation for the "Getting to Know EU" (I know) program. Anyway, I was folding clothes and I flipped the TV on to Vh1. "Rock of Love" was on and I don't know why, but I couldn't stop watching it. People are so strange! The house was half-filled with strippers, which was perfect really, since there were poles in every room. An interesting decorating choice to be sure. All of these contestants are fighting over a slightly overweight (pudgy? husky?) Brett Michaels. Why do I love bad reality TV so much? WHY? Oh the shame. On a different note, perhaps my viewing habits aren’t so harmful. For one, my love of low culture allows me to interact with people normally (humor me here). Yesterday a friend of mine (or at least I thought was my friend) gave me the most backhanded compliment. I think he needs to watch more reality television. "Jen," he began, "You have this way with people. They just really like you" At this point, I was beginning to turn pink. Oh, how nice of him! "I mean, you do this dumb blonde thing and underneath it you have this sharp mind. But you don't intimidate anyone. I can't imagine you intimidating anyone!” The smile fell from my face and I was overcome with this desire to know his glasses off his face. Instead, I summoned my inner Jackie O (who was smoking a cigarette, reading The New Yorker and was not at all pleased about the interruption). "Well," I started slowly, weighing each word carefully, "I don't think I come off as a dumb blonde and I certainly do not intend to, but I appreciate you saying that people like me." In the span of the next five minutes, he also managed to say that my boyfriend and I are made for each other because "we talk incessantly." Jackie! You’re needed!

1 commentaire:

Teresita a dit…

oh my goodness! I would have slapped that guy in the mouth. and told him how lucky he was not to have the same problem; no one would ever fall prey to liking him by mistake! :)

you handled that with panache, though, so give yourself that. and I seriously doubt you come off as a "dumb" anything. jeeze.