mardi 25 septembre 2007

While I was staring at you with calm affection, you were searching out my imperfections.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people point out a stain on your shirt. Yes, I know it's there. What do you want me to do about it? I'm no Girl Scout! I don't have a backpack full of extra shirts that I could don. Plus, I JUST got this stain today. I was drinking coffee in my noble attempt not to fall asleep right on top of this keyboard. I don't think people SHOULDN'T point things out. For instance, let me know if I have spinach between my teeth. I'd thank you and discretely fish it out. There are two differences between these two scenarios. The first is in the ease of remedy: how quickly can I fix the situation? Chances are it is a lot easier to get rid of the spinach than it is to get rid of the stain. A fly is easier to zip than a tear is easier to sew. Second, how likely is it that the person is aware of the "problem"? I may not know that I have food in my teeth, but I probably realized that I got coffee on my shirt when I, uh, spilled the coffee. So, I would peg comments about a not-easily remedied and obvious snafus as rude and unneccessary. That is all.

Aucun commentaire: